Thursday, January 18, 2018

Forever wheelchair-bound

I think what I need is some kind of coach or something to encourage me and tell me what to do. I don't want the demeaning language of say, a drill sergeant but instead someone who generally gives me optimism about my  future and overall gives me a mentality of " you can do it".

If it is all left up to me then no recovery progress would happen. I need some sort of accountability. There is so much that I cannot make myself do especially if I don't have the motivation to do it.

Before my second surgery I had physical therapy at least once a week sometimes two or three times a week. That was something I just had to show up for and and my assigned therapist told me what to do and what is best for me to do. I didn't do the work at home partly because I could not really make myself do it and partly because I was already tired from rehab. That was when I had double insurance so that my sessions were covered and did not break the bank. Unfortunately I aged out of that so I don't have the luxury of not doing any work at home but I still can't really make myself do it. Therefore it looks like I am going to stay in my wheelchair forever. The odds are against me getting out of it anyway. I probably could get to walking with a walker or cane I have the physical abilities somewhere inside but I haven't done the work to let them all out.

For a while it was enough to invite me out and give me a ride in a car that would not fit my wheelchair.  That meant I had to use my walker the whole time. That got me practicing using my walker and being on my feet in a more realistic setting. I suppose that people around here are trying to be considerate by not asking me to events or places that are not reallys suited for my wheelchair. Unfortunately that doesn't give me much reason to get out of my wheelchair.

Then there is the question of what they're doing the work is even worth it. Mean shouldn't people like me just the way I am? I shouldn't have to change just because someone else wants me to get out of my wheelchair  but if someone else doesn't want me to then I won't do it for myself. I guess it's a matter of wanting what is best for me not always wanting me to like you. that's a hard balance I know.



1 comment:

  1. i'm not seeing any comments here so it might be safer to comment on Facebook I don't know.

    ReplyDelete