Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Shattered Dreams

I was quite discouraged after talking with neuro drs. They said that all recovery is in the first 2 years. That was about 6 mos ago.

My dreams were shattered. With that thought my mind knew that I'd always be in a wheelchair, that I'd never walk again and all my work and practicing for 6 mos was for nothing. I lost hope and faith. It all seemed like a joke to me.

I knew it was not good for me to let such thoughts take over. I forced myself to counteract my negativity with optimism. In my efforts I thought of how much I've progressed in the last 6 mos. I kept the thought that I could be the one to defy the odds (as my husband so graciously told me) and that the doctors didn't know me so they could be wrong about me. I figured that even if I didn't progress I could keep practicing and maybe the workouts would help me lose weight. It'd be great if I progressed but that wasn't the primary goal. It forced me to think of life how I am now and not just after I've recovered. For now I'll at least keep working out, maybe it will keep my mind off of my shattered dreams. I don't know if I will make a full recovery but I don't want the prayers on my behalf to be in vain.

4 comments:

  1. Marlene, never give up on the hope of your full recovery. Just be prayerful and keep trying new things. God will guide you in your journey, just look at how far you have come. XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne is right. God is the only one that knows what your life plan is. And he's the best doctor out there. He can heal you through your hard work, if that's part of your plan. And I can't even tell you how many times I've heard a story start with: "The doctor's said I'd never walk again..." and there they are walking around. There are larger forces at work in the universe besides statistics. It might take a long time and a lot of work. You're miracle won't be a sudden healing overnight. It will be long and hard...but it will happen :)
    -Ash

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you are a dear, dear lady! I'm so glad your husband pointed out that you could be the one to defy the odds! I remember my husband telling me (and he still does), "stop comparing yourself to others!" What my husband means is:
    Just look as what YOU have done, as compared to what YOU were the day before, the week before, the month before; it is distressing for all of us when we look at what someone else is doing now compared to what our-self is doing now. You are amazing, and don't you forget it! Not today, not tomorrow, not ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Watch The Secret....seriously. Just do it. They had it at my library, or if you have Netflix I'm SURE they have it on there. And I agree with everyone else. :D

    ReplyDelete