Sunday, October 20, 2013

It's In the Struggle Itself

My husband gets really into certain TV shows and right now it's Star Trek. I like how he's into a show my dad was into but of course my husband isn't nearly as into it as my dad was. Naturally I'm at least familiar with it and, I admit, I enjoy it. One of my favorite characters is Data, an unfathomably advanced robot who will never feel emotion but is a very valuable member of the crew. He creates another android like himself and works to"raise" it. Data tries to understand human behavior and leads me to think of origins of a custom, etc I especially like what he says in this clip to Lal his daughter. I'm talking about 4:25-4:39.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecgpXQ1PQs4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I think what he says applies to me and therefore to most people. I never should have needed à wheelchair. Now it's not necessary for my safety but I'll never be rid of it if I never gain speed and functionality my walker.
SIDE NOTE I already have enough balance to be confident using it alone. I can be dropped off using it and still be perfectly safe. In fact that's what usually happened when shopping but we got sick of depending on store scooters for speed so wheelchair for me. END SIDE NOTE

I'm tired of hiding because I'm not the same person I used to be. I still have a lot of life left and I don't want to pretend that chunk of my life doesn't exist.

I'm tired of working so hard to do what comes naturally to virtually everyone. Every new bleed is a set back but I'm too committed to beating this to let it beat me.
Data has that struggle and he's still awesome maybe I can be too.

2 comments:

  1. You are awesome Marlene just as you are now, just as you were before this, even tho I did not know you then. Your mind is amazing and can work at a speed your physical self is limited to at the moment. However long you have or not, I believe you are very blessed to be a blessing in the lives of your family and many others! I am so grateful to have gotten to know your Mom. I know you know you are truly blessed to have a stalwart warrior of a heroine at your side whom has been so unfailing every step of the way in your journey. I love your analogy about Data...I am not in your exact shoes, but when physical illness and are a constant, it is very hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel... Stay strong Marlene, and keep progressing. Have your Mom do the Aroma touch Technique as much as possible. I had the privilege of doing that on long ago. Love you, C. A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are already amazing! We sure are happy to have you stay with your mom this week so we can hopefully have our kids playing with Nolan a bit!

    ReplyDelete