Sunday, July 2, 2017

Bubble Run, my first 5k in a decade

I am so very glad that Teri invited me to the Bubble run. Granted I was her second choice but first was her daughter so I didn't mind.

Before racing day I suggested riding my trike so she didn't have to push my chair. She called the racing officials to make sure that my trike would be allowed which was nice because I didn't have to worry about getting in trouble. The race itself was very fun. She was sure to include humor and helped out when she was needed. I don't know if the humor was intentional but it was appreciated nonetheless. She only had to give me a helping push through deep gravel because I just kept spinning my wheels but most of the race was not on the gravel so that was good. Luckily I was able to leave the car and directly get into my trike. We were able to go right from the cat to the starting line so I did not have to worry about navigating the trike through a building. I did bring my folding walker in case I could not get to my trike directly from the car. But using it for a while would use up all my energy.Turns out I did not need to do that. 

After we crossed the finish line she took me to Denny's to get some food. I used that folding walker in the restaurant so it was put to use along with my handicap sign so we got a nice close parking spot.

Looking back she did some things that were just right for someone like me. When we finished eating she went ahead to go pay while I made my way to the door. Then she held the door open for me and then went to the car while I made my way down the ramp. If she walked really slowly with me I probably would have felt a little rushed and tried to walk faster and it might have been a little taxing for me but she let me take my time and none of that happened. 

It's so easy to assume that I can't do something because of my disability. I can usually find SOME way to attend So if I really want to go then I will. I bet most people would think of me and say,"but she can't run a 5k so I'll pass" and they would be right. I can't run. But I CAN ride my trike so if that's allowed then I'm in.

I take piano lessons from a second floor apartment. I can't leave my wheelchair behind and walk around in that apartment. BUT my folding Walker is light enough to go up the stairs and there's a railing to lean on as I pull my way up.

So it's extra work but it's possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment